Groups that promote hatred and homophobia
under the guise of "family values"
You can do a lot to change the way people think by educating them
to the hateful agenda behind organizations that hide beneath the
innocuous banner of "family values."
- AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION (Head: Donald Wildmon)
- Promotes the "agenda" through court actions; also targets
media/entertainment industry. Concerns include homosexuality,
pornography, profanity, "anti-Christian bigotry," liberal media.
Influential on National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) funding and
public school curricula censorship. 600,000 members, 640 local
- CONCERNED WOMEN OF AMERICA (Head: Beverly LaHaye)
- Anti-gay, anti-abortion, "pro-family" agenda via grassroots
organizing and Congressional lobbying. Pressures elected officials
via local groups ("prayer chains"). 600,000 members, 800 US
- EAGLE FORUM (Head: Phyllis Schlafly)
- A women's organization powerful in national and Republican party
politics thanks to Phyllis Schlafly, founder. Mother of a gay man,
she opposes AIDS education, sex education, daycare, family leave,
abortion rights, the ERA, and NEA funding. 80,000 members.
- FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL (Head: Gary Bauer)
- Lobbies against G/L/B civil rights, reproductive freedom, government-
funded health care, child care and equal protection laws for women
in the workplace. Says lifting the military ban on gays will
dramatically increase AIDS incidence. Not the same as Paul
Cameron's Family Research Institute. Split from Focus on the
Family in 1992.
- FOCUS ON THE FAMILY (Head: James Dobson)
- Employs almost 1,000. 1,550 radio stations worldwide. A leader
in the passage of Colorado's Amendment 2 to disallow equal rights
for G/L/B. Conducts seminars nationally to involve fundamentalists
in political process.
- TRADITIONAL VALUES COALITION (Head: Rev. Lou Sheldon)
- Opposes gay rights, reproductive freedom, teaching evolution, and sex
education except abstinence. Newest group is National Task Force
for the Preservation of the Heterosexual Ethic in America. Active
in DC, OR, and CA to outlaw civil rights protections for G/L/B
people. Now organizing anti-gay ballot initiatives in California and
elsewhere. Helped repeal G/L rights in Irvine and Concord, CA.
Advocates AIDS quarantine. 25,000 Churches nationally.
- FREE CONGRESS FOUNDATION (Head: Paul Weyrich)
- A research/education organization. Formed National Empowerment
Television (NET) to mobilize Right for grassroots lobbying. Hopes
to expand to cable TV. Operates Judicial Selection Monitoring
Project. Has four TV shows including two to target black
conservatives and college campuses.
- OPERATION RESCUE (Head: Randall Terry)
- Nationally known for violent shut-downs of abortion clinics and
vandalizing property, terrorizing women and health-care providers
including stalking, harassment, and other intimidation tactics.
Trains activists. Added gay rights to agenda when Clinton proposed
to lift the military ban. 35,000+ members.
- CHALCEDON (Head: Rousas John Rushdoony)
- Principle center of the Christian Reconstruction Movement. Leader
in establishing Christian legal organizations and a major think tank.
Publisher, speakers bureau, and seminar presenter.
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATORS/CITIZENS FOR
EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION (Head: Dr. Robert L. Simonds)
- Goal is to bring public education under Christian control. Priority
is disruption of public schools via attacks on curricula, text books,
and school boards. 1,250 chapters.
In addition to those listed above, the Christian Coalition, the
Oregon and Idaho Citizens Alliances, and
Colorado for Family Values
are all organizations that abuse the true meaning of family.
If you know of any others that
P-FLAG should be concerned about,
please send their names to
P-FLAG, P.O. Box 96519, Washington, DC
Return to Gay:Homophobia
The Bibble Pages, Christian Molick,